Red Label display...........

Red Labels, Woodside, Gold Labels and Trap Guns
rugerguy

Red Label display...........

Post by rugerguy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Well I guess I will try and see if the Red Label display will "post" using the 'attachment method'......
Attachments
Red Label display a.jpg
Dan T

NRA Benefactor

flattop44
Site Admin

Re: Red Label display...........

Post by flattop44 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Dan, fine looking group of Shotguns. I hope we see them in person at Harrisburg! I only have one Red Label, its new in its banjo box, #590. I bought the gun at a small gun show in Mississippi a few years ago and the man had one of the silver Ruger shotgun hard cases for it too.
Bill

rugerguy

Post by rugerguy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:50 pm

Yes, the American Tourister luggage cases are a very good find.... I have 3 or 4 of them for my shotguns, as well as some of the "unreleased" Ruger long gun cases, but never put them on the display, as they were NOT "approved"?? Remember like the ones John K was selling at the OGCA some time back..........
Dan T

NRA Benefactor

flattop44
Site Admin

Post by flattop44 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:13 am

Yep, I have a few of those stuck back. By saying that they were "unapproved" do you mean never sold? What is the story on those soft cases?

rugerguy

Post by rugerguy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:05 pm

I'd have to double check that one with John D., as I wouldn't want to "say it wrong".....story was the same type fabric that is on one of the briefcases pictured in RL Wilsons book "Ruger and His Guns" was the same supplier and these were in Tom Rugers office??? never "approved" for sale?? around the same time that Tom had 'passed away' I seem to recall........I had had and seen 3 different configurations, short ( carbine) long( rifles & shotguns) and a wider ,long one for scoped rifles............ther small Ruger logo reminded me of an early Winchester design/pattern that was on one of their double shotgun luggage cases years ago, almost the same 'color' scheme too, I figured thats why they didn't "go", it was too close to the Winchester one???made sense to us.....or were they "too costly"???? Mr Dougan...?? :?:
Dan T

NRA Benefactor

John C. Dougan
Site Admin

Post by John C. Dougan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:08 pm

Tom Ruger ordered these cases around 1980. If memory serves me, the fabric was proprietary and made in England, the cases were manufactured in Italy. There were probaly less than 200 made.
There are long rifle cases, long rifle cases with scope and short rifle cases. Briefcases were made especially for a few of the Ruger executives as gifts. There was a small quantity of pistol cases made.
I was told that when the cases were delivered, Mr. Ruger had them sent back and cancelled the purchase order. The reason being, he had ordered some cases from another manufacturer and wanted to use the ones he ordered.
The cases were stored until I purchased them about 10 years ago. I still have a few if anyone wants them. I have Tom Ruger's briefcase in my collection of memorabilia - the interior is lined with soft pig skin, it is very nice.
I think the briefcase in Wilson's book belonged to Jack Behn, he used to load it with goodies and bring it to the NRA shows specifically to extract hard earned funds from us collectors. I tried to talk him out of it several times, but to no avail. I don't know where that case is now, it probably went with his low number collection of # 95.

jjbabin

Post by jjbabin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:42 pm

Mr Dougan,
What would one of these cases run?

Jerry

John C. Dougan
Site Admin

Post by John C. Dougan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:13 pm

Hello Jerry,

I have been away, thus my belated reply. The cases are $45 each plus $5 s/h. If you would like three cases they would be $45 each including s/h.

John

hoagiedaddy

Post by hoagiedaddy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:37 am

Does anybody have a American Tourister case they would like to sell? I had one at one time and it was stolen. I would really like to have another. I just acquired a DU engraved Red label. It would look great in that case.