ruger preprefixno 1 odd caliber

No. 1 and No. 3
model70bige

ruger preprefixno 1 odd caliber

Post by model70bige » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:54 pm

just had an oldnumber 1 come in my store today i wanted to learn about, it is serial number 35xx, and is in 38-55, i bought the gun from the widow of original owner, and she said it was bought that way, but the question i have about the gun is, is that the barrel is stamped c r douglas at the rear of the barrel at the receiver, and is very heavy weight, i know ruger used different barrel vendors in those days, could this be factory? and the gun has no sights, but has scope blocks and a 6x unertl scope mounted, any info would help, has the round style foreend

Ruger1nut

Re: ruger preprefixno 1 odd caliber

Post by Ruger1nut » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:24 am

Welcome to the forum. Your Number One certainly sounds intriguing. I can offer a couple incite. All early non-prefix rifles did in fact have Douglas barrels. That said I have never seen one still so marked.

Second is Ruger did in fact do a run of 38-55's but it was many years later. It was a 1S configurations so 26" medium weight barrel with sites.

Last is that with Ruger one can never say never. I will say this sounds unlikely but if its originally owner was connected well enough at the factory it is possible.

any additional information, full serial number and pictures you can send me would be appreciated. I may be able to offer a better opinion.

You can E-mail to Ruger1nut@aol.com or post them.

El Numero Uno (Lee Newton) may also have some help for you

Dave