Questions about a 1970 No.1

No. 1 and No. 3
300 H and H

Questions about a 1970 No.1

Post by 300 H and H » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:40 pm

New member, first post...

Recently I acquired a No.1 that has me puzzled. It is a medium sporter, no sights. It caught my eye because of the pistol grip and checkering pattern, and those I recognized as of the early type. Not to mention it has a knock out fancy butt stock, one of the best I have seen. The condition is as new, and it is a shame there was not the original bo+ with it..

What puzzles me is the serial no. it prefi+ed with 130, indicating 1970, and the serial is 0075#, not so long after the prefi+ was added. (I bet you can tell by now what letter on my key board quit working lol) Not being a Ruger collector I wouldn't have e+pected the early type butt stock on this rifle. Are there other things, such as a Douglas barrel this rifle might have? Is there any way to tell if it has such barrel?

Lastly, I don't think this has ever been shot since it was sold new. There was cosmoline type grease over the top of the action, and breech block. Not a mark on it any were, checkering sharp, as if just done.. Is this or will it become a collectable No. 1? Should I just lock it up in the safe? Has it value above later pattern rifles, and if so how much? I paid 9 bills for it..

I have a period correct 4 to 12 power Denver Redfield sitting idle, after a rebuild. Temped to mount it up and see what this beauty is capable of.. :)

Regards, Kirk.

zebra55

Re: Questions about a 1970 No.1

Post by zebra55 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:10 pm

can you add some pictures

300 H and H

Post by 300 H and H » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Pictures in time, I have a new computer, and Windows 10 isn't my cup of tea just yet.. :oops:

Another thing I read about the none prefi+ed No 1's is the serial number is etched in on the bottom of the breech block, under the operating lever. I have two other late 1970's No 1's in the back of the safe and I have not looked for this number on those two, yet.

This 22/250 rifle has the serial etched (eletro penciled) into the underside of the breechblock..

From what I gather 1970 was a year of transition, with none prfi+ed and prefi+ed rifles being built at the same time. Clean up of e+isting parts may make telling much difficult, and inconsistent.. That is my understanding from what I have read.

My main interest is Pre 64 Winchester competition guns, both shotguns and rifles. But I have to admit the early Ruger guns fascinate me as well. I have shot two M77V .220 Swift for many years on prairie dogs and coyote. One is a two hundredth year, the other a flat bolt red pad shipped in December of 1973. Both are very good shooters. The No.1's I have are both tropical rifles in .375 H&H and .458 Win Mag.. That may be why they are in the back of the safe!

Regards, Kirk

zebra55

Post by zebra55 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:45 pm

a couple of more comments about your no 1...if you would like to know as much as possible about early no 1s get JD Clayton's book .. you can buy copies through classic sporting arms website .. also Lee Newton who owns the shop is quite a good resource for info...he has his email posted on his site

A far as shooting it, I do mine... guns are made to be shot.. I look at it this way I use the "investment" strategy on my wife to justify the purchases, but an investment is intended to be liquidated some day, but most likely not by me... so if shooting it shaves a few dollars off the value I will never see it..