Security Six Polished Stainless

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
JMullis

Security Six Polished Stainless

Post by JMullis » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:46 am

I recently traded for a Security Six that is polished stainless, It's a 1976 "Liberty" model. The owner said it has been in his safe for about 20 years and he bought it from the original owner. He said the finish is factory, and I tend to believe that, nothing is washed out by buffing, edges are very sharp, definitely a professional job. On the other hand, is it a factory finish? I looked closely in the crevices, etc and I can't see any discrepancy. I used to own a 1976 stainless but it was the typical brushed stainless finish. Factory finish or not its a beautiful gun and whoever polished it did a fantastic job.

Doc Nonverbal

Re: Security Six Polished Stainless

Post by Doc Nonverbal » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:45 am

I have a 70's Security Six as well with the typical brushed stainless finish. I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment about whether or not the factory ever produced a polished stainless Security Six, but I can comment on the finish.

It's actually quite easy to put a mirror polish on a brushed stainless firearm. All it takes is some Mother's Mag polish, an old white cotton t-shirt, elbow grease and patience. To facilitate getting into crevices, I made some oak dowel tools (round, point & chisel) to push the t-shirt into these areas. Very minor marks and scratches can be removed with Scotch Brite pads. I typically use the grey pads for scratches, then follow up with the white. The maroon pads are much more aggressive, but are great for touching up the flats of the Mark II Competition model. Don't use them on a brushed stainless finish or you'll have more scratches than you'll know what to do with.

This is probably more than you wanted or needed to know, but my point in this is that if I were a betting man, my money would be on that polished finish being post-factory.

Hopefully I'm wrong and you have an unusual revolver.

Best wishes,

David
NRA Life Member
RCA Life Member
SWCA # 2392

Coogs

Post by Coogs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:14 pm

I have some info at home that I may be able to confirm or deny. I'll try to look it up tonight, Coogs.

Xringshooter

Post by Xringshooter » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:50 pm

To my knowledge, Ruger didn't do any factory high polish on the Six series guns, with the exception of some high polish blued guns and they were marked "High Polish" IIRC. All of the Six series stainless steel guns I have seen were the brushed finish. Other finishes (polished or blasted to give even more of a matte finish) were after market.

You can get a nice high polish of a stainless gun with just a little work and without a polishing wheel if you take your time, as Coogs said. Work by those that do it quick and don't take the time to get into the cracks and crevices shows up pretty easily wi9th just a little bit of looking.
Ron
Retired USAF (E-8)

Coogs

Post by Coogs » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:57 pm

First of all, NEVER SAY NEVER with Ruger!!!!! I have all the records of a very good friend, DK Hummel, had one of the most in depth collections of nothing but stainless. DK is past now. No records of any high polished Security Six, At this time I don't know where Ruger stands on their letter situation, so....................but, try to get one and confirm the finish. I would have to say it is not factory, but after almost 40 years in the business of collecting Rugers, like I said, NEVER SAY NEVER WITH RUGER. It could be a promo, an experiment, a factory employee gun (which may be my first choice) or someone could have just polished it later. I hope you find out it is ligit, would love to hear about another rare piece, good luck! JMHO, Coogs.

Coogs

Post by Coogs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:59 am

Went through the info I have at home. Was not able to confirm anything for you. A factory letter will probably be the best way to go at this point. Coogs.

T.A.Workman

Post by T.A.Workman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:57 am

I know that Weaselmeatgravy has a Factory "Hi-Polish" in his collection.
There is a post over on the Ruger Forum with a picture.
Terry

Here's the link.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 3&t=226031