Trade malfunction, or potential trade malfunction…

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
GarandThumb

Trade malfunction, or potential trade malfunction…

Post by GarandThumb » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:54 pm

I was in Tucson today and as usual I find an excuse to go to the gun shops and the indoor range.

I got some gratis range time and decided to try out the Rock Island Officer’s Model .45 which hasn’t been out of the box since my Gunsmith in Benson had a go at it. (It’s fine but the Federal + P load prints too low for my tastes, mental note for some new sights.)

There’s a guy a few stalls over shooting a 30 shot .22 Magnum Semi Auto pistol. Everything’s polite and we are having a superb time of it.

As usual I shoot the carry firearms before shutting down; 200 rounds through the Springfield (Loaded) .45 ACP, 50 Remington JSPs through the S&W M58 .41 Magnum and finally the Speed Six .357 Magnum 4 inch (normally Silvertips but today I fired off a precious few Remington 125 Grain JHPs.)

The guy notes the 4 inch Magnum roar and meanders over when I’m done shooting it. He asks what it is and I tell him it’s a 4 Inch N-Framed M&P in .41 Magnum. I hand it to him and he raises an eyebrow at the big Smith. The Speed Six also intrigues him and the 4 Inch .357 has a nasty crack with the Remington 125 grainers.

I like to clean my weapons in the Van before the long trip back to Sierra Vista. And I notice the aforementioned guy walking over to the van as I’m getting situated. It’s at this point that I realize that the Springfield is empty, the Smith Model 58 (which is my back pocket firearm (it is legal to carry concealed in Arizona,)) is also dry as is my current Van gun the Speed Six! And of course the short barreled Stevens 620 12 Gauge Pump is down for work and the wife will have removed her Taurus .44 Special because she gets mad when I shoot up her Gold Dots and I do shoot them when I go to the range.

So I’m depending on the kindness and courtesy of my fellow man here not a situation I like to be in. I decide to brave it out rather than start a Chinese fire drill trying to load the Springfield.

The guy turned out O.K. and asks if I ever trade. Please! My middle name is old-trading-fart! (And it is!) Problem is that I have no need for a plastic 30 shot .22 Magnum Semi-Automatic. So he reaches in his gym bag and pulls out a Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum with a 3 and a half inch barrel, and says he’s got an N-Framed Smith as well. And is it a beaut’!!! It’s a 4-Screw with that super fine S&W blue job done back when the factory boys really were dedicated to their work and knew what they were doing! My thoughts went back to Roy Jinks at the ‘Vegas Show and how much we’d have lavished over the big smith!

Any way the guy wants a trade on the Model 58 AND the Ruger Speed Six! No can do, I promised myself many years back when I sold the last Model 58 Smith’ to Harrison Carroll that the next one I got my hands on would NEVER leave! Not to mention that the 4 inch ‘Liberty Marked’ Speed Six is a bit of a rarity in itself!

(Perhaps I should mention that many years ago I carried a Model 27 3 ½ incher during two of my tours in Viet Nam. So I have a weakness for them.)

Now my current trading stock is pretty slim a S&W Model 13 .357 Magnum 4 inch barrel and a round butt, a Ruger New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt 6 ½ inch barrel, a Limited edition Satin Nickel S & W Model 469 in 9mm, a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special and the modified Rock Island .45 ACP. And all but one of those are a few hours away (at home.)

Well turns out he knows the rarity of the 4 screw Smith and we cant put together anything. We exchange phone numbers. And I set about cleaning guns and trying to forget that beautiful model .357 Smith. On the drive home I get a call (breaking up from time to time as I go in and out of cell phone tower range) from the guy telling me his neighbor has an Inox 9mm Browning High Power that he wants and maybe I can trade him something for it and we can then trade the 4 screw M27 on that!

So when I get home I call the neighbor, turns out he only wants black plastic rifles! A deal killer right there, semi-auto copies of military 5.56mm(s) are hard to come by and super expensive. I tell the guy I’ll see what I can drum up but that it’s probably the wrong time for such a trade!

My buddy Jack Durrant tells me a couple hours ago that his Son-In-Law still has the Daewoos that we went into Murphy’s for and that he only wants to keep the wire stock model and might consider a trade for the other Daewoo!

Well the kid wants an AK (or in this case a Saiga) for the Daewoo, so here’s the up shot. (Deep breath,) tomorrow I’ve got to get the Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt, the Satin Nickel S & W Model 469 9mm and the Rock Island .45 spiffed up (including any accessories I can use to sweeten the deal;) trade Jack for his Saiga 7.62X39 and then trade that to his Son-In-Law on the Daewoo then get to Tucson and trade the Daewoo on the Inox Hi-Power and then meet the range guy at his workplace to trade the Inox on the 4 screw S & W Model 27 3 ½ inch .357! Anything goes wrong on the way and I could get stuck with the fancy 9mm or worse a Saiga 7.62!

It’s a complicated world we live in!

The Old Dinosaur

Coogs

Re: Trade malfunction, or potential trade malfunction…

Post by Coogs » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Wowwww........sounds just a little complicated..............hope it works out for you, Coogs.

GarandThumb

Post by GarandThumb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:52 am

Yeah, it did.

Ended up trading a Hartford Model SA in .44-40 for a Stoeger Condor (O/U) in 12 Gauge. (I think I'm going to buy the SA back though...)

(I couldn't get the Inox 9mm Hi-Power guy to commit before starting the trade, so the deal on the 4 Screw Smith soured.)

Hope it put a smile on y'all's face.

Strange Days!

Watertender

Post by Watertender » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:04 am

I hope that Stoeger Condor is the Outback model. That is a handy shotgun. A friend of mine who is since gone to the beyond had a Model 58 Smith & Wesson that he carried as a duty weapon for the department he served with. One time a local motorcycle gang was having a picnic & he stopped by to make sure they were behaving. They had their keg of beer & a pig roasting as well as a little left handed smokin' stuff. They were also out there with a .22 rifle shooting at a cigarette pack on a fence post. They asked if he wanted to take a shot & he said "Yes" but used his Model 58 to do it. He fired offhand at it and shredded the pack which was a good 50 yards away..... After the sound was done echoing you could hear a pin drop. My friend says "You guys are gonna have a nice peaceful party now aren't you". He wasn't called back & the message was loud and clear.

GarandThumb

Post by GarandThumb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:51 pm

We've got a bunch of Bikers here in Sierra Vista too. They make sure the boys (and their families) that go to the Federal Cemetery here aren't bothered or harassed. I was told their Officers were Viet Nam Vets who'd rather die than see the military boys get any disrespect, they carry the flag on their bikes and all over their jackets. Nice, I am a fan!!!

I was working for the S.O. in Lea County New Mexico many years back and had to make a trip into Dallas and as usual I met up with Dan Fisher and his partner (Texas Rangers all) at Ray Brantley's old Gunshop. Dan told the story of a Ranger who was carrying the big N-Frame Smith Model 29 in .44 Magnum and had not yet shot the 4 inch, the ammo was Remington 240 Grain JSP(s) (is it just me or was .44 Magnum loaded hotter back in those days?) Seems the team was retrieving a fugitive who was a bit of a bad boy. The heavily armed Ranger was sent around the back to cover the alley where the chances of intercepting the fugitive was a little higher on the scale. Sure enough the bad guy busts out the rear gate and high tails it down the alley, our intrepid hero decides to test the short barreled .44 and puts it up to fire a warning shot (not a good idea,) thing goes off right next to his ear. Both legs shot out from under him and with concussion sickness and a bleeding ear the Ranger was safely secured. (The perpetrator was never seen again.)

Then as now 4 Inch N-Frames bite...