Gun Digest 1973

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
Boschloper

Gun Digest 1973

Post by Boschloper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:21 pm

100_5933.JPG
Hello All:

For Christmas in 1972, my parents gave me a copy of the 1973 Gun Digest. The front cover is a painting by Jim Triggs of an engraved Speed Six with a bobbed hammer, with the same gun in cutaway below it. I will post a picture. (The back cover is a wonderful posed photograph of a #3 and an Old Army.)

I purchased a Speed Six when I was in college, and bobbed the hammer, so my gun looks like the Gun Digest gun except for the engraving. This was my second bobbed hammer. The first was a S&W M10. The S&W was much easier to cut off, after I got through the case hardening, the hack saw went right through it. The Speed Six hammer was hard all the way through, and took for ever to cut.

My question is, does the engraved gun that Jim Triggs painted really exist, or is the engraving an example of his wonderful talents?
Attachments
100_5929.JPG

flattop44
Site Admin

Re: Gun Digest 1973

Post by flattop44 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:44 pm

My guess is that it is Jim's creation. What would be cool thought is that you get yours engraved to match the picture!!
Bill

RugerNo1
Site Admin

Re: Gun Digest 1973

Post by RugerNo1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Actually, this revolver does exist. It was engraved by Alvin White for Bill Ruger. I have a sketch of the engraving somewhere, and the serial# of this revolver, that I obtained from Larry Wilson many years ago. This revolver was auctioned off some time back to support some favorite benefit of WBR and was bought by the late Jerry Lee Wilson. I believe it to still be in the Wilson Estate.
RugerNo1
RCA #72
"I do Ruger No.1 Rifles"
http://www.classicsportingarms.com/