Single six with Vent Rib?

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros, and New Vaqueros.
cabinroe

Single six with Vent Rib?

Post by cabinroe » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:42 pm

I am considering a purchase of a stainless single six, 6.5 inch barrel, with what looks like a ventilated rib on it. Was this a early Hunter model, a custom factory build, or an aftermarket modification? The rib appears to be mounted professionaly with a smooth transition into the receiver frame, along with an adjustable rear sight with red coloring. Any information you would like to share would be appreciated.

flattop44
Site Admin

Re: Single six with Vent Rib?

Post by flattop44 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:32 pm

A prototype Hunter Model is shown in the Ruger 2004 Catalog and later in the March 2005 issue of Shooting Times magazine. Do not remember them having a different rib. You may want to check those documents out and compare to your gun. What is the serial number of your gun?
Pictures would be welcome here too!!
Bill

RugerNo1
Site Admin

Post by RugerNo1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 am

The Hunters have a solid rib cut to take the Ruger scope rings. I would believe the ventilated rib to be an after market addition. The Hunters also have 7.5" barrels
RugerNo1
RCA #72
"I do Ruger No.1 Rifles"
http://www.classicsportingarms.com/

GarandThumb

Post by GarandThumb » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:35 am

There was an aftermarket Ventilated rib kit for Ruger Single actions that was usually epoxied in place. These matched up very well with the frame contours. An old 1970's 0r 1980's Guns & Ammo will display the ads (twords the back.)

I got in an argument once at the Yuma Show, most of these were aluminum but the fellow gun nut proved my observation wrong when he stuck a magnet to his. So at least some were steel and hence could be soldered or TIG welded on.

They were racy looking but the Ruger purists hated them. Tom Baker in Lakeside had a Super Blackhawk (that he got from Frank Grijalva's Shop) with one mounted that he used Elmer Keith's (read H-O-T) loads in and as far as I know had a 20 year career without leaving the revolver. Tom however was meticulous and would have done a superb mounting job.