Kirst Conversion Cylinder for Ruger Old Army

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros, and New Vaqueros.
Buckstone

Kirst Conversion Cylinder for Ruger Old Army

Post by Buckstone » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:54 pm

I bought a Kirst Conversion Cylinder for my Ruger Old Army. I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. The cylinder and backplate with the firing pin are a perfect fit. The machining and lock up are nothing short of astounding. It's so great to see an American company turning out such a high quality product. I've had so many disappointments with Chinese junk over the last ten years or so it just feels good to buy an American product that fits perfectly and functions exactly as it should. The people at Kirst are doing a great job. I've heard some say that the single firing pin may be an issue compared to the R&D's multi pin design. I think that the lifetime no BS warranty pretty much covers that in my mind. The cylinder slid into place with zero slop and it fires like it was a stock part from the factory. I'm going to have a lot of fun using my Old Army in a new and exciting way. Hats off to the folks at Kirst.

American industry is not dead. There are still small American companies putting out very high quality products, and to me it's great to see that good old American ingenuity is not dead. Also, the bluing and finish are a near perfect match to my Ruger. One thing that I noticed is that there is a very slight plum tint to the bluing, which coincidentally is one of the prettiest things about my flat gate Single-Six. The cylinder frame on my flat gate has a beautiful plum tint on 100% of the surface. The Kirst Conversion Cylinder is a bonafide bargain, and it's great to be firing a three screw action without all of the transfer bar malarkey. I'm going out back to my range now to run another box through it before dark. Thank you Kirst!
Last edited by Buckstone on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

flattop44
Site Admin

Re: Kirst Conversion Cylinder for Ruger Old Army

Post by flattop44 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Agree with you on the Kirst Conversions, they are indeed quality. Let us know how that old iron shoots with the Conversion.
Bill

Buckstone

Post by Buckstone » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:02 am

I have a rest built from treated 2 by 6's so that I have a standing rest. At 25 yards my best was a 2-1/2" group with no obvious flyers. I haven't been shooting much since having two new discs installed in my spine in May, so I'm pretty sure that when I get back in the groove I can bring that inside 2" using the standing rest.

I was using Winchester Super X 250 grain cowboy loads, so I'm going to try a little hotter load next time. These rounds are rated at 750 fps, so I have some room to move up there.

This Old Army is like having a brand new mule. I think I'm going to get another Kirst cylinder and some reloading equipment. It's so fun to shoot it. I love the smoke and fire after only shooting rimfire since I had to sell a pretty decent collection of back in the 80's. My leather rig is just a black flap holster and a black 2" belt with .45 loops. I think I have enough room on the belt for a spare cylinder carrier.

I need to get out with the Single-Six and work out a little bit before spending a lot of money on factory .45 rounds. I haven't shot center fire in years, and I think it just may be addictive after shooting rImfire only since the 80's. I think my Old Army is going to become an old friend in short order with this awesome modification.

Buckstone

Post by Buckstone » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Shot the Kirst Old Army .45 LC today and pulled a six shot group at 25 yards that was conservatively a 1-5/8" group. still using Winchester Super X 250 grain lead flat nose bullets. I measured to the outside of the bent perimeter of the hole, so probably 1-1/2" group. Time to set up at 50 yards. I'm very happy with 1-5/8" group. Makes me wonder what this would do with a machine rest. The combination of Ruger and Kirst is a big winner in my book. I think I need another Kirst Old Army on a double carved buscadero rig With two spare cylinders. I have a new favorite revolver. With groups like that I don't mind cleaning. I feel like Josey Wales!
Last edited by Buckstone on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

flattop44
Site Admin

Post by flattop44 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:22 pm

I would be proud of that group any day. Every Old Army that I have ever shot with black power would shoot excellent groups. The double rig sounds like the thing to do too....make old Josey proud. :D Let us know the 50 yard score!
Bill

banshee

Post by banshee » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:45 am

I've been using my old armies for cowboy shooting with r&d conversions for cowboy shooting. I've started using 1 pistol and 2 cyl. and swapping them on the clock ala pale rider. it adds about 5 to 7 seconds to my times but what the heck it looks good.