Engraved Single Six

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye and Black Powder Old Army.
John64

Engraved Single Six

Post by John64 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Anyone know this engraver? Initials marked "MS"

SN: 117XX

Seller claims might be factory. I think not, but maybe someone could shed light.

Regards,

JB
Attachments
MS.png

John C. Dougan
Site Admin

Re: Engraved Single Six

Post by John C. Dougan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:30 am

Good morning John

Over the years I have amassed a lot of material about the factory engraving project (research for my books). If you will share the full serial number I will review my notes regarding the factory engraving project. Additional photos will also help. I also have several books about engravers and their work and will refer to them for anyone with the initials "MS". Perhaps we can figure this out.

Regards, John

John64

Post by John64 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 am

Much appreciated. Serial no. 11762
Attachments
2.png

John C. Dougan
Site Admin

Post by John C. Dougan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:05 am

Good morning John,

The engraving pattern is very similar to the "Revised Standard Pattern" cut for Ruger by Charles H. Jerred on most of the 238 single-Sixes from 1954-58. The first place I went to was the list of Ruger revolvers that his son Herb Jerred provided to me indicating the guns he or his father later engraved for customers matching the originals, your serial number does not appear on the listing.

There is no suggestion of it being factory engraved in my notes. I could not find an engraver whose initials are "MS". You may wish to contact the secretary of the Firearms Engravers Guild of America to see if he is aware of "MS" from the past or present. Hundreds of engravers have emerged since WW II, many of them are remain obscure.

Where exactly are the "MS" initials located on the gun?

Sorry I can't offer more.

Regards, John

John64

Post by John64 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks for your time and effort John. The initials are on the barrel where it meets the frame, shown in the first photo. I've tried to contact Linda in the records department, she has helped me several times, but couldn't reach her today.

I'm going to let this one go, but if anyone else is interested: https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/Lot ... yid=457761

That will hit the auction today, in a couple hours.

Again, thank you.

JB