Single Six 1955?

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye and Black Powder Old Army.
rugerguy

Re: Single Six 1955?

Post by rugerguy » Thu May 07, 2015 7:37 pm

well from what I can see of the one picture of the laeft side of the frame, it does say 22 Win, Mag so that gun must have been made AFTER 1959 as the 22 magnums were not developed until 1959 !!! simple as that as for the other side (the right side) cannot see or tell just what the serial number is and it should be 6 digits ,starting at #300,001 and up, as for having a spare or extra cylinder, that is quite possible but as the gun is MARKED magnum, it is NOT a 1955 gun......something is amiss with the serial number you post, maybe whomever plated the gun, removed?? altered? or whatever but you need to take a nice ,clear picture of the serial number to find out any or whatever info you may be seeking.
Good luck
Dan T

NRA Benefactor

Captainbo

Post by Captainbo » Thu May 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for responding to the post. I know the pictures suck, but i just have a flip phone. I did send Satcom better pictures. ( I'm weary of posting the seriel # ) I am not a collector. I bought the revlover from a friend in the 70's and put it in a drawer. It does not show any signs of being altered. I would think there would be some sort of indentation from being removed. The #'s are stamped pretty deep. The reason I was hoping it was a 1955 is that was the year I was born. I think it is pretty cool to have a revlover the same age as me.

Is there someone that I could send it to that could xray it or test it in someway? I am I flirting with the legal system owning it with an altered S#?

Thanks

rugerguy

Post by rugerguy » Thu May 07, 2015 10:53 pm

I know what you mean, and sorry to let any air out of your ballon ( rain on your parade) but , the two items I pointed are contradict one another, as the "22 magnum" markings could not, would not, be on a gun made in 1955 when the 22 mag cases (ammo) was not even developed yet....this marking makes it at least a 1959 gun, ergo the issue is with the serial number, maybe a screw up?? maybe restamped ?? and the fact the gun is replated (customized) thereby 'played with, no telling what the serial numbering could have been, and yes, one can take measurements, and yes an agency can "raise" any old ,obliterated numbers but that would ruin the finish.................
and no, I do NOT think it is any sort of "prototype".................firearms that have been refinished at any given time could be re-serial numbered , all too easily...I know I had been in the refinishing and restoration business over the years and am now 'retired' since 2002....and we could NEVER change ,alter, delete, any serial number without first having prior approval from the BATF, and this was in writing...it's the law

My bet would be that the serial number was improperly applied at the time the 22 mag (RSSM) was built, but there is NO way to know this for certain (measurement of the thickness of the frame???) as the company records would in NO way reflect upon this ,they can only go by the number of digits you provide them .....take it to a GOOD gunsmith , who just may "know" something about Rugers and see what they tell you, the nickel ( or chrome ) plating can hide a multitude of 'sins' and needs to be really looked at thoroughly and a proper determination made....hope this helps,,,,,too bad you were not closer to us , my guys and me would be more than happy to help you out..,....good luck
send me an e-mail or better pictures taken by a good camera, not that hard to do ,stay away from a flash, and use a macro setting on the camera, and use a tri pod..........
Dan T

NRA Benefactor

Captainbo

Post by Captainbo » Fri May 08, 2015 9:14 pm

I believe I have my answer. A sincere thanks to all that took the time to help!

panzer58

Post by panzer58 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Anybody interested in a Ruger Single Six .22LR. Ruger verified 12/55 production. Has contoured loading gate conversion.
Does not have transfer bar conversion. 5 1/2" barrel. Black grips w/Ruger logo. Not a convertible, .22LR only. Been in family since stepfather bought it in 1956. I know guns and would rate it @ 95%+

rugerguy

Post by rugerguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:29 pm

what is the serial number? you can leave out the last one or two digits simply substitute an "x", like #1234xor #1234xx, give a v better idea if which "type" RSS you may actually have or send me a picture ........sounds like a nice gun, currently we have them in each of the type ( variations) all in their boxes...........my wife happens to like the early 'flatgate' variations, have one that was sent back to thefactory by the original owner and had a 'Premiere' loading gate, we just left it inplace as the flatgate is still in the box.......
Dan T

NRA Benefactor

panzer58

Post by panzer58 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:34 am

307XX