Ruger Standard Automatic .22 "Red Eagle" S/N 8???

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
RevJet

Ruger Standard Automatic .22 "Red Eagle" S/N 8???

Post by RevJet » Tue May 02, 2017 10:30 am

Hello Everyone! I am brand new to this forum. I joined specifically to get information about a Ruger pistol I recently acquired at a local gun show in Ohio. It is a Ruger Standard Automatic with "red eagle" grips. No box or other paperwork was included. The serial number on the side of the receiver is “8”. The size of the “8” is noticeably larger than the serial number on my other red eagle firearm (with a five digit s/n). The seller indicated that he owned the pistol for about 10 years, but had no other information.

According to the “Encylopedia of Ruger” book by Chad Huddleson, the s/n 8 firearm was NOT stamped with a serial number. This gun was given to Warren Page, then editor of “Field and Stream,” for evaluation. According to this book, s/n 8 would have had a squared ejection port (mine is rounded), and a 1/4” wide rear sight (mine is wider). Further internet searching revealed that, as of 2001, the actual s/n 8 pistol was owned by Mr. Don Findley from Tulsa, OK.

I then contacted Ruger customer service who requested I send some pictures. Ruger replied that their records indicate that s/n 8 had an ejection port with squared edges, whereas the ejection port of my firearm was rounded and not a match (which I had already concluded). They further suggested that I contact the Ruger Collectors Association for more information on the authenticity of this firearm which led to this post.

It’s clear that the firearm I have is not the actual s/n 8 gun that was given to Warren Page, but what is it? Is this pistol a forgery? Is it possible that another pistol left the factory with a number 8 serial number? Finally, does this firearm have any collectible value? Any information from the members of this forum would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear your thoughts, opinions or theories about this pistol. Thank you in advance!

d findley
Site Admin

Re: Ruger Standard Automatic .22 "Red Eagle" S/N 8???

Post by d findley » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 am

Photos might help solve this mystery.

RevJet

Post by RevJet » Wed May 03, 2017 10:36 am

IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG

d findley
Site Admin

Post by d findley » Wed May 03, 2017 1:02 pm

I've seen several of these (Ruger .22 pistols) without a serial at all. Most were guns taken from the Factory by employees. Can't say on yours. It would not be in the Factory records.
You will probably never find the whole story. Good luck.

rugerguy

Post by rugerguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:51 pm

we saw this gun at one of the Ohio gun shows over the years, and looked it over REAL careful, it is a much later gun, and the serial number digit was a simple hand stamp, done by "whomever", "when ever", we passed on it, knowing that the original , early ( proper numbered gun, possibly a prototype) was home , down in Texas..............we also have a pair of red eagles BOTH same serial number #2720, one an early gun, the other a later one, similar to the vintage of your number #8 gun,again,," who, what , why or even where", was the later one done...oh well
Dan T

NRA Benefactor