Help with NIB 44. Carbine 25th Edition

This forum available to non-RCA members to ask questions about the Ruger Collectors Association or a Ruger Firearm that you own.
ResQ91

Help with NIB 44. Carbine 25th Edition

Post by ResQ91 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Hello!

I hope some of you would help me with some advice.

My buddy talked me into considering a 44. Carbine to deer hunt in the brush. (I have missed getting a shot off trying to find deer in my rifle scope too many times) My impression was of a fast handling, light gun with semi-auto.

I went out looking for one and ended up buying a 25th Anniversary model directly from Ruger in an auction. It turns out it is from Ruger's factory collection. It is brand new (Well, made in 1982) but never fired and still plastic wrapped in it's original box. They even sent me some other things including a cool certificate with info on this gun. CEO of Ruger (Fifer I think name was) even hand signed it!

Problem is, when I took it to gun shop to get looked over and get a rear peep sight installed, the Gunsmith told me I was a fool to do this and to shoot even one round through it as it was a collectable gun.

Now I am concerned I would be better off with a nice used one as I went looking for a gun to hunt with, not one to look at. I am certain to scuff this up where we do drives.

I have a few questions I would love help with:

1) The letter sent mentioned "Blank Box End". What does this mean?
2) If I keep it, are there things I should do to protect it that are different from my other used guns in gun safe? (Should it be oiled up, stock waxed, leave it alone, leave it in box, etc.)
3) Should I leave it as unfired or just be happy and enjoy hunting with it?

I know I like these guns and think I plan to just buy another to hunt with. Just a bit disappointed as I didn't plan to worry about ruining something special.

(I also posted this in the Rifles section as I was unsure where to place it)

I would really appreciate some help.
20161227_082031.jpg
pix350602734.jpg
pix350602734.jpg (107.58 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

Coogs

Re: Help with NIB 44. Carbine 25th Edition

Post by Coogs » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:08 am

Not sure exactly how many were produced, but, in my humble opinion such a well documented gun and in NIB condition would be worth more putting away than shooting it. Ruger did produce that gun with a receiver sight, not sure of the Model designation and/or how many were produced. Regardless of what opinions you get, remember that it was your dime that bought it and you should do with it as you please. My dad gave each one of my sons a NIB Winchester Commemorative carbine and had their names engraved in the stocks! One was a Golden Spike, the other a Cowboy. So I would say the value, and the pleasure you get from a firearm is in the eye of the beholder/owner. Good luck. What ever decision you make is going to be the right one because it's your gun, Coogs.

ResQ91

Post by ResQ91 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks Coogs!
I am pretty sure I am going to get another after thinking this over.
Any idea what what a Blank Box End means?

Coogs

Post by Coogs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:04 am

That the box does not have the correct 25th anniversary label on it? Other than that, ya got me! Coogs.