Question, can anyone help?

This forum available to non-RCA members to ask questions about the Ruger Collectors Association or a Ruger Firearm that you own.
bbooker28

Question, can anyone help?

Post by bbooker28 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:38 am

I recently had the opportunity to pick up a Ruger Speed six in 9mm so I snatched it up for short money. It is a 1981 according to Rugers Website, but other than that, I can not find any other solid info on it. It is conservatively in about 95% condition with light turn marks on the cylinder where the matte finish wore lightly to more of a high polish stainless, but no scratches or other marks anywhere.

My questions are.....

1.) How many 9mm speed sixes were made in 1981?
2.) It has a matte stainless finish looks to be factory.....IS IT??
3.) If the matte stainless is factory, were they all like that or just some?
4.) If there was a bright stainless, satin stainless and matte stainless, how many were built in matte?
5.) It came with 13 half moon rings in a little manila envelope, is that original, and do they make a full moon ring?
6.) Should I polish the gun out to get rid of the turn rings, or just leave it alone? My first inclination is to leave it be, but hate the look of the turn marks on the cylinder.
7.) round about value?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Steve in NH.

Xringshooter

Re: Question, can anyone help?

Post by Xringshooter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Sorry about the delay, I haven't been here in a while. I'll try to answer your questions.

1.) How many 9mm speed sixes were made in 1981? Can't tell you, Ruger does not release production records. They also do not group the different models by serial number so you can't go that way.
2.) It has a matte stainless finish looks to be factory.....IS IT?? Maybe, a matte finish is almost a gray color. Ruger typically used a "satin" finish on their stainless guns, but some being sold under contract might have been matte.
3.) If the matte stainless is factory, were they all like that or just some? See above answer
4.) If there was a bright stainless, satin stainless and matte stainless, how many were built in matte? I don't think Ruger did a bright (high polish) stainless but I could be wrong. Again, without production numbers we'll never know.
5.) It came with 13 half moon rings in a little manila envelope, is that original, and do they make a full moon ring? Those would probably be original, I don't recall Ruger doing full moon clips.
6.) Should I polish the gun out to get rid of the turn rings, or just leave it alone? My first inclination is to leave it be, but hate the look of the turn marks on the cylinder. You could polish it out but in time, the turn ring will come back, it's just the nature of that gun and the way the cylinder locks up.
7.) round about value? It depends on what part of the country you live in, the prices vary widely. It could go from $400 to $900+ depending on where you are and how sought after they are in that area. Gunbroker can give you a feel for the value.

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend joining RENE (Red Eagle News Exchange) this will give you everything you want to know about Rugers and you receive a copy of the Reference of Ruger Firearms which has a wealth of info about the Six series guns.
Last edited by Xringshooter on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
Retired USAF (E-8)

rugerguy

Re: Question, can anyone help?

Post by rugerguy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Good info above from Ron, and yes, the cylinder can be polished out quite easily, simply use a 3M Scotchbrite pad and rotate the cylinder....the lines can polish out and easy enough to keep looking GOOD........ heck I could have polished it faster and easier than it was to type this reply (but then again I been polishing and refinishing guns since the late 1960's)
did you get the box also?? the shipping sleeve ?? these add to the guns value and cleaned up the 9mms can go for quite a bit of money....one of the few 9mms firearms I ever liked, cared for and even carried....seems I still have a box aroud here from one of my old ones, but the end label fell off ,but has the manual , the brown envelope with the moon clips, saved it for "posterity" :lol:
Dan T

NRA Benefactor