Judge Don Martin Guns

ruger66

Judge Don Martin Guns

Post by ruger66 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Sorry guys just some more old long guns!! These guns were both shipped to Judge Don Martin, who was good friends with Bill Ruger. They corresponded regularly and samples of their letters were reprinted in the book "Ruger and His Guns." The guns are both in nice shape but used. Thats what they're for. Its kind of neat to think maybe old Elmer shot them a few times!!

A Brief History:
Don Martin had a colorful life history. He was raised in Idaho's Salmon River country, the largest wilderness in the lower 48 states, and a spectacular mountain country. As a soldier he served under Black Jack Pershing on the Mexico/USA border during Pancho Villa days, then later served in World War I. He eventually became a US Marshall and later served two terms as Sherriff of Lemhi County (Idaho). He then served as Probate Judge until his retirement.

Judge Martin also contributed a number of articles to a variety of outdoor and gun magazines including Guns Magazine, Guns & Ammo, American Rifleman, Western Sportsman and Gun Digest.

Don Martin became good friends with legendary gunwriter Elmer Keith in about 1930. They were lifelong friends, with Don writing the "introductions" and "forwards" in five of Keith's books including "Guns & Ammo for Hunting Big Game," "Elmer Keith's Big Game Hunting," "Keith, An Autobiography," "Hell, I Was There" and perhaps his most classic work, "Sixguns."
34.jpg
34-2.jpg
34d.jpg

flattop44
Site Admin

Re: Judge Don Martin Guns

Post by flattop44 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Man you just keep coming up with those rare and interesting 2-digit carbines. Thanks for the info. on Judge Martin. Yep, you may be right, old Elmer may have got off a few rounds through one or both of those old guns.
Thanks for posting them Vaughn.
Bill

flatgate

Post by flatgate » Sun May 11, 2008 11:12 am

Elmer makes reference to the Judge's receipt of "Low Number" Rugers on page 54 of Sixguns.
"Ruger sent us No. 15 of regular production (of the Single-Six) and Judge Don Martin another low serial number".

Carl

ubme

Post by ubme » Mon May 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Great pictures and information.
Thanks

flatgate

Post by flatgate » Sat May 02, 2009 9:54 am

Judge Martin got to test the .44 magnum Blackhawk for, IIRC, Guns Magazine. WBR sent him s/n X3. I find the rollmark on the cylinder frame most interesting since
it reads "Ruger .44 Magnum Blackhawk" and not "Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum" which appears on the production guns.
I wonder where that ol' Flattop is now?
flatgate
BKH4_X3.jpg

brass frame
Site Admin

Post by brass frame » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Hey guys - did you know that I purchased the .357 Flat Top that was owned by Judge Martin, serial number 210. It letters being shipped to him in November, 1955. It was part of my display at the fall Tulsa show in 2009. I have a picture of him from his days as Sheriff, before he became a Judge. The gun was shot and carried and shows some holster wear. He wrote an article for the Gun Digest in 1957, that describes the proper way to shoot a single action weapon. He also did a shooting review of the then "New" - First Blackhawk
built and sold by Ruger. Brass Frame / Lee

flatgate

Post by flatgate » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Nice!

I spoke with writer Brian Pearce at the recent Boise show. He and I have discussed the Judge Martin
guns a time or two.... :roll: He does "know the family" but isn't saying much, but, he does know we
collectors are very interested.

I gave him my card.......

flatgate