Prototype 10/22s, part 2

ruger66

Prototype 10/22s, part 2

Post by ruger66 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:03 pm

These guns are absent of all the standard barrel markings. It is said the other set has just the Ruger proof mark on it ahead of the receiver. This set doesn't even have that.
aussie2.jpg
aussie1.jpg
aussie.jpg
Click on photo to see enlarged version that's readable

flatgate

Re: Prototype 10/22s, part 2

Post by flatgate » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:49 am

Wow, more shock and awe from the rolling hills of Maine!

I have a question or two....
Isn't it generally known that extending a .22 LR barrel much past 18 inches actually reduces projectile velocity when
firing "normal" .22 LR ammunition? I wonder why Ruger went through the trouble.....

Proofing of the 10/22's question. Ruger doesn't Proof Fire their rimfire revolvers. It's my understanding that the Ammunition
Companies do not make Proof Ammunition for the rimfires. Now, perhaps I'm in error here and sure would appreciate more
information.

Great stuff!

Carl

ruger66

Post by ruger66 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:57 am

Carl
I agree with you on the proof marking. I was going by what Workman said in his book on the other set that they had the Ruger proof mark. Maybe it had to do if they were going to be exported. I think the barrel length might have been just for old school. I know when we were kids there was a lot more 22 rifles then carbines!

John C. Dougan
Site Admin

Post by John C. Dougan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 pm

Hello guys,

They only function fire the Single-Sixes and Standard Pistols. 22 RF cartridges do no generate enough pressure to be a risk to the integrity of the reciever or cylinders, therefore proofing is not an issue.

At least one full magazine is rapidly fired through each pistol into a bullet trap. At least one cylinder full is fired through the revolvers into a bullet trap. These guns are hand held, not locked in a fixture and fired remotely as the centerfire guns are.

At the Red Barn facility a large tank of water served as a bullet trap, even for the .44 Blackhawlks (a bit messy sometimes). A scatter shield of course surrounded them. At the Lacey Place proofing room there was at least two 20 yard firing lines with a steel back stop. The rim fire guns were not fired in the proofing room.

Some export guns were also accompanied by an "affidavit of proof" that allowed them to circumvent re-proofing in the country where they were imported to. Especially military guns.

Ruger proofs with 150% industry loads in handguns and rifles.

John

flatgate

Post by flatgate » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:52 am

Thanks for the clarification, John!

Good stuff to know.

Carl