This belongs to a friend.

flatgate
Attachments
PartsBag.jpg

John C. Dougan
Site Admin

Re: Ruger Parts Bag

Post by John C. Dougan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:46 pm

These bags were used to ship parts in. The envelope portion was where the copy of the invoice was placed and the entire thing shipped.

Starting in the early 1950s Ames Bag Co. in Cleveland made these for Ryger by the tens of thousands at a cost of around a nickle each. They are rarely seen, because, I presume they got thrown away. Some old photos of the interior of the Station St. factory show these lying around, the envelope was torn off and the bag used to store parts in.

Curiously they have the following printed on them. The Sturm, Ruger & Co.

These are a wonderful display item.

flatgate

Post by flatgate » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:15 pm

John,
I'd never noticed the "The Sturm, Ruger & Co." label!!!! My friend's Father ordered a new hammer and trigger for his Single-Six after he'd broken the hammer during dry fire practice.

Interestingly enough, the Single-Six was also fitted with a Premier Weapons Co. loading gate and the original rear sight was removed and stored and a "filed flat" replacement sight was installed.

I hope to some day convince my Friend that his Father's Single-Six belongs in my collection. It's serial number will tickle the interest of most Ruger Single Action Collectors......5106.

Carl
Attachments
RSSE5106.jpg

flattop44
Site Admin

Post by flattop44 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Those parts bags are neat. That is interesting, I did not know that is how they shipped them. I too have an old friend who has one, but only the cloth bag part. I first noticed the stamp on it when we were out shooting our Single-Sixes years ago. He was carring his .22 cartridges in it. He claims it is in his will to me but he will probably out live me! :cry:

Carl, I see that you are still chasing that old Spanish, it sure needs to be at your house. Persistence usually pays off! Good luck.
Bill

John C. Dougan
Site Admin

Post by John C. Dougan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:03 pm

Carl,

FYI, the engraving on # 5106 cost $25 and was returned to Ruger from the engraver in Sept. 1955.

John

flatgate

Post by flatgate » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:02 am

$25? Oh, my goodness.......

I've offered the owner a wee bit more than that for the gun.
:shock:

Carl

JCCVaquero

Post by JCCVaquero » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:26 pm

I'll counter your offer with multipuls of $25.00, but good luck with your quest anyway.. ;)

JefferiyMl

Ruger Parts Bag

Post by JefferiyMl » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:31 pm

they retired at the end of last year. I got all my pedal tractor parts from them, were very nice to work with. I have to find a new place to get my parts now too

link